Saturday, November 29, 2008

Everyone needs to dance

Meeting remarkable change makers and social entrepreneurs on this learning journey has been a humbling and moving experience. On the fourth day of visiting projects in Calcutta, I entered the world of Dance Movement Therapy (DMT) and met the dynamic members of Kolkata Sanved. As I believe that dance is a necessary component for my own mental well being, I felt an instant connection to the programmes of Sanved, and was eager to find out how DMT was applied in the process of psychosocial rehabilitation.

We began the day by sitting with the director of Sanved, Sohini Chakraborty, and 8 of the DMT trainers who they themselves have been through a process of recovery and healing. Our discussion with them introduced us to the rhythm of Sanved’s history and the issues which shape it today. Sanved works to provide, through DMT, an alternative approach of psychosocial rehabilitation for victims of violence, marginalisation and trafficking. Sanved took its first steps over 10 years ago in a shelter home. From this beginning they are now working with 30 partner organisations in India, Nepal and Bangladesh.

Sohini was awarded an Ashoka Fellowship in 2003 and has established DMT as a proven alternative method of psychotherapy, and worked with over 2,500 individuals since its inception. Despite the initial scepticism of organisations, questioning the credibility of DMT in rehabilitation, Sanved has shared its programmes, built capacity in other organisations and developed networks with therapists overseas. Sanved is partly funded by the Ministry of Education and is striving for DMT programmes to be incorporated into the government’s Life Skills Programmes.

Talking of the philosophies behind DMT, Sohini and the trainers opened my mind to endless possibility. They taught me that state of mind is directly related to the use and understanding of our bodies. A cure for mental illness can be achieved through the physical use of the body. In essence a victim’s trauma is in the body; once they understand “I’m the controller of my body” they realise “I can control my mind, and my future.” Everybody can benefit from DMT as the body is the gateway to release stress and mental tensions.

The trainers themselves are supported to build their own capacity in human rights awareness, psychology, leadership skills, confidence and the way that they speak and present themselves. These skills are then directly transferred when every participant has a needs assessment in order to determine the appropriate DMT approach. In the eyes of Sohini, a rehabilitated person is someone who says “If I want to, I can do it. Yes I can.” They have confidence and a voice to achieve their dreams. Participants are awakened, recognise their potential and have a new self belief.

Throughout our time talking with the Sanved members, their faces and expression of speech were direct, concise and confident, and their belief in their work was unshakable. The group told us of their struggle as they are often pressurised by their families to leave Sanved. There is a fear amongst parents that they will lose their children who become more independent and will leave home, and the one man in the group told us he would continue to work at Sanved even if his family were to disown him. Through Sanved he has gained confidence and has a dream that in the future, people will use DMT instead of going to conventional therapists.

After the discussion we travelled to the All Bengal Women’s Union, a shelter for women and children. Classes are held twice a week with the children, many of whom have been victims of abuse and trafficking. We were invited to take part in a DMT session in which we witnessed energetic children enthusiastically dancing and always conscious their peers were ALL involved. As the music played and the girls giggled at my dance moves, the trainers voiced clear instructions and enjoyed the love and respect of the students.

From a young age dance has meant a lot to me. It allows me to forget myself, my anxieties and insecurities and I’m transferred to another place of acceptance with no boundaries. I have had no history of abuse being afflicted on me or desperate hardships put upon me, yet, I somehow relate to the work of Sanved on so many levels. I treasure the time I had with the members of Sanved and only hope one day my dancing ability will be a fraction of theirs.

No comments: